IBM Spectrum Protect 8.1.11 Advanced Administration, Tuning, and Troubleshooting – TS628G CR,ILO
Course Code: TS628G
Brand: Storage Software Technical Enablement
Skill Level: Advanced
Implementers and administrators who have experience with IBM Spectrum Protect.
You should be able to perform the following skills managing an IBM Spectrum Protect environment before taking this course:
- Experience navigating Windows Server 2016 Standard.
- IBM Spectrum Protect (or IBM Tivoli Storage Manager) hands-on experience
- IBM Spectrum Protect 8
.1.9, Implementation and Administration course (course code: TS618G) or equivalent skills
- Explain the features of IBM Spectrum Protect.
- Describe the concept of cloud storage.
- Install IBM Spectrum Protect server, backup-archive client, and Operations Center.
- Navigate the administrative interfaces.
- Manage the IBM Spectrum Protect database and recovery log.
- Create and manage storage pools and storage pool volumes.
- Explain the concepts of attaching and preparing a media library.
- Define a management policy to meet business requirements.
- Configure and manage client options.
- Backup, restore, archive, and retrieve client data.
- Protect the IBM Spectrum Protect database and storage pools.
- Schedule administrative tasks.
- Monitor server and client messages and events.
IBM Spectrum Protect is a data backup and recovery solution designed to help you manage your data retention, reduce the cost of storage, and provide appropriate recovery point objectives.
IBM Spectrum Protect, formerly known as IBM Tivoli Storage Manager, is a data backup and recovery solution designed to help you manage your data retention, reduce the cost of storage, and provide appropriate recovery point objectives to meet any service level agreement. IBM Spectrum Protect offers improved efficiency and flexibility using object-based data management, policy-driven retention, and an easy to use interface, the Operations Center.
In this advanced-level course, you streamline your daily operations with the latest features, such as using Retention Sets for data retention, and using the Web Client 2.0 to restore data. You use the Operations Center and administrative command line to manage multiple IBM Spectrum Protect servers and nodes. This course also includes scripting, performance tuning, restoring the database and storage, and an overview of integration with IBM Spectrum Protect Plus 10.1.6. The hands-on exercises are performed on two Windows 2016 R2 virtual machines.
This course is the second in a two-course series. It is for storage administrators familiar with the daily management of IBM Spectrum Protect, and focuses on the latest features, such as container pool storage. Basic concepts and installation are not covered in this course. TS618G, the first course in the series, IBM Spectrum Protect 8.1.9 Implementation and Administration, covers basic administration and installation.
Unit 1 The IBM Spectrum Protect 8.1.11 environment
Unit 2 Storage pool management overview
Unit 3 Multi- server management
Unit 4 Recovery and long-term retention
Unit 5 Client functions and management
Unit 6 Daily maintenance and monitoring
Unit 7 Automation and scripting
Unit 8 Tuning the server and client for optimization
Unit 9 Troubleshooting and recovery
Unit 10 IBM Spectrum Protect additional products
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Describe a multi-server IBM Spectrum Protect storage environment.
- Manage storage containers and traditional storage pools.
- Configure a multi-server environment.
- Improve data protection and recovery with replication.
- Enable advanced client functions.
- Protect and monitor the IBM Spectrum Protect environment.
- Use scripting to automate daily processing.
- Optimize the IBM Spectrum Protect server and client.
- Troubleshoot common problems.
- Describe the other IBM Spectrum Protect family products.